Tips for Using Olive Oil
By Lidia Bastianich
I hear it from you out there all the time: I love it, but how do I use it? Here are my tips for how to best use olive oil.
1. Extra virgin olive oil is best when used in its raw form—to drizzle on salads and before serving a bowl of soup or pasta.
2. Do not use olive oil for frying, canola or vegetable oil is best for that, but you can add a little olive oil to the pan for flavor.
3. When cooking or sautéing, use olive oil, but keep the heat at a low temperature. Olive oil has a low smoking point.
4. Olive oil is a great antioxidant for your body when ingested.
5. To prevent oxidation or rancidity, store olive oil in full, small bottles, tightly shut in a dark and cool place.
Lidia Matticchio Bastianich was born in Pola, Istria, on the northeastern coast of the Adriatic Sea. She is a cookbook author, restaurateur, and TV chef extraordinaire. Watch Lidia’s Italy Saturdays at 1:30pm on WGBH 2 or Sundays at 4pm on WGBX 44."
About The Daily DishThe Daily Dish brings you regular recipes from public media's favorite chefs.
More Recipes from Festival Chefs
Jody Adams' Lentils, Sausages & Grapes
David Blessing's Short Rib Tacos
Chris Coombs Cider Braised Duck Leg
Jose Duarte's Lobster Causa
Jeff Fournier's Cherry Tomato Puttanesca
Rich Garcia's Trash Fish Minestrone
Will Gilson's Smoked Bluefish
Will Gilson's Stuffies
Deborah Hughes & Mary-Catherine Deibel's Red Pepper Soup
Frank McClelland's Pot-au-Feu of Poussin
Brendan Pelley's Seared Scallops
Robert Sisca's Monkfish
Subscribe to WGBH Food & Wine Emails
Follow WGBH Foodie