Jan 13, 2011
BOSTON -- Gov. Deval Patrick is calling for major staffing changes to the state's Parole Board as a review shows institutional failures may have played a role in the board's decision to release Dominic Cinelli -- the man accused of killing Woburn police officer Jack Maguire during an armed robbery last month.
|Woburn police officers lined up before a press conference announcing Maguire's death on Dec. 27. (AP)|
The governor began by accepting the resignation of the five members of the state Parole Board who voted to release him.The executive director of the parole board and the executive director of field operations are also stepping down.
Patrick says more personnel changes are planned. He cited the review, released Thursday, which said Cinelli was not properly supervised after his release.
“Ultimately, it is Cinelli and Cinelli alone who is responsible for the murder of officer Maguire," Patrick said. "But after this review I cannot say that the parole board or the parole office did all they could to ensure public safety.”
The review also said too few relevant parties were notified before the vote on Cinelli -- and that the summary of facts about Cinelli received by the board didn't adequately highlight the seriousness of his crimes.
"The public has lost confidence in parole, and I have lost confidence in parole," Patrick said.
The governor also said he plans to file legislation that would require criminals with two violent felonies on their records to get the maximum sentence for a third felony.
Subscribe to WGBH News Emails