A successful event always has these elements in common:
The right mix of guests. In the case of WGBH’s Old World New World Showdown on Friday night, that mix included long-time ‘GBH fans, new ‘GBH fans, and a whole other set who were drawn to WGBH’s Yawkey Atrium at One Guest Street for the chance to taste eight wines, mingle with friends, tour the studios, and stay on for a live jazz concert with Melissa Aldana after the tasting.
A well-considered program. That meant a sparkling wine reception (just to set the tone!) followed by a paced tasting of four grapes — Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Pinot Noir, and Syrah — first in their Old World iterations and then in their New. The tasting was punctuated between grapes by comments from certified wine educator Adam Chase of Grape Experience and feedback from the crowd. That kept everyone on the same page and moving in the same direction.
Good-quality food and drink. This we couldn’t have achieved without the very generous support of the following local wine shops and distributors:
* Bauer Wine & Spirits, who donated the 2009 Montes Leyda
* bottles, who donated the 2009 “Kung Fu Girl” Riesling by Charles Smith Wines
* Federal Wine & Spirits and Oz Wine Company, who donated the 2007 Doudet-Naudin Bourgogne Rouge
* Gordon’s Fine Wines & Liquors, who donated the 2007 Schild Shiraz
* Grape Experience, who donated their time and expertise
* Henry’s Wine Cellar, who donated the 2006 Three Sons Cuvée
* Martignetti, who donated the 2008 Château De Sancerre
* Tomasso Trattoria and Panzano Provviste, who donated the 2008 Weingut Walter Rauen Detzemer Wurzgarten Riesling
* Wine ConneXtion, who donated the 2006 Gigondas
Buzz. The event was completely sold out. Guests were texting and tweeting. Feedback ranged from “Timely, informative, fun!” to “Loved the tour of the studios. Loved the concert.” to “Hope this event is repeated in the future!!!”
You can count on it.
Cathy Huyghe writes the WGBH Foodie blog. Read new WGBH Foodie posts every weekday, in which Cathy explores myriad ways and places to experience good food and wine.
Gordan's Wines and Liquors
Bauer Wines and Spirits
Federal Wines and Spirits
Oz Wine Company